A rugged land between the Black and Caspian seas, the Caucasus is a battle ground for a fascinating and formidable clash of cultures: Russia on one side, the predominantly Muslim mountains on the other. In Caucasus, award-winning author Nicholas Griffin recounts his journey to this war torn region to explore the roots of today’s conflict, centering his travelogue on Imam Shamil, the great nineteenth century Muslim warrior who commanded a quarter-century resistance against invading Russian forces. Delving deep into the Caucasus, Griffin transcends the headlines trumpeting Chechen insurgency to give the land and its conflicts dimension: evoking the weather, terrain, and geography alongside national traditions, religious affiliations, and personal legends as barriers to peaceful co-existence. In focusing his tale on Shamil while retracing his steps, Griffin compellingly demonstrates the way history repeats itself.
August 22, 2010
Caucasus: a journey to the land between Christianity and Islam
This entry was posted on Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 at 14:47 and posted in Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
- What is the meaning behind the stats? Context matters. . . .Follow me 1 year ago
- One of the songs also mentions the November 13 Paris attacks themselves, saying: "Charronnes, Bichat, Voltaire [loca… lnkd.in/eBP_YqeFollow me 1 year ago
- Putin: I'm 'grateful' to Romney for proving me right about missile defense wp.me/p2Ar5V-bU via @wordpressdotcomFollow me 4 years ago
- Strasbourg appeal on the case of Beslan weighs 43 kilograms wp.me/p2Ar5V-bS via @wordpressdotcomFollow me 4 years ago
- Palestine, Afghanistan are main sources of anti-Americanism in Arab world - Russian expert on I… wp.me/p2Ar5V-bQ via @wordpressdotcomFollow me 4 years ago
- Domodedovo Airport terrorist act suspect makes partial confession wp.me/p2Ar5V-bO via @wordpressdotcomFollow me 4 years ago
- Court turns down petition for open trial of Domodedovo bombing case wp.me/p2Ar5V-bM via @wordpressdotcomFollow me 4 years ago
- Putin welcomes idea to re-create military-historical society in Russia wp.me/p2Ar5V-bK via @wordpressdotcomFollow me 4 years ago
- Russians Say Anti-U.S. Attack in Libya Vindicates Their Position wp.me/p2Ar5V-bI via @wordpressdotcomFollow me 4 years ago
- On the lighter side of biological warfare wp.me/p2Ar5V-bG via @wordpressdotcomFollow me 4 years ago